The Fred ‘gasm’ furor may be slowing down a bit, while we all wait for our plain-speaking-commonsensical Hamlet to make up his mind, but the reaction to Fred and the Dobson proclamation continue to make for fun reading.
This post, by Harding University professor Mark Elrod isn’t exactly brand new (10 days old is six months in blog years), but I wanted to publicize Professor Elrod’s ‘Thompson challenge’ here in Music City, the buckle on the Bible belt.
After Thompson’s ‘church of Christ-ness’ was averred by a Thompson spokesperson, the good professor blogly gauntlet-ed:
The winner will be immortalized in Elrod’s wonderful blog (Mark Elrod’s Lame-O Weblog).
Acceptable sightings include:
* Fred Thompson teaching a Bible class
* Fred Thompson presiding at the Lord’s Table
* Fred Thompson leading singing (if it was 728b and you can prove it, I’ll give you $100)
* Fred Thompson driving the JOY bus
* Mr. & Mrs. Fred Thompson (above) serving as greeters
* Mr. & Mrs. Fred Thompson preparing a nice chicken casserole for a Sunday pot-luck
The idea of Thompson driving the Joy Bus was enough to make me snort coffee. Just as funny are some of the comments made to the post, including one classic ‘Can the Law and Order boink boink theme sound be sung a capella’? Another commenter appears to be donut-knowledgeable Tiffany of Tiff Sniff offering a Donut Den sighting as a possibility.